Igniting the fire #IMMOOCB1

I see my role as a support role, empowering teachers to develop confidence and competence in innovating using technologies in the classroom (and beyond). While I am often frustrated by what seems to be a very slow burn, I see sparks of progress that give me hope for future blazes.

“Our job, sometimes, is simply to be the spark, help build confidence, and then get out of the way. If innovation in any school or school division is solely dependent upon one person, it will continue to happen in pockets. In contrast, when we focus on empowering learners to become leaders, they help spread ideas. Sometimes, empowering just one person is all it takes to push an entire group.” Innovator’s Mindset, Chapter 4

We have a prep teacher who confidently led her class through a guided discovery lesson with a code-a-pillar, teaching concepts of algorithmic thinking and fuelling her students’ natural curiosity. We have Year 1 teachers whose eyes are beginning to open to a world of possibility that comes when students have a voice that can travel beyond the four walls of the classroom. Our Year 2 teachers are beginning to lead curriculum design in Digital Technologies by looking for links with Geography. Our Year 3 teachers have demonstrated true collaboration when working on a project that involved two class teachers and two specialist teachers in creating a presentation for the students to give to parents and the school community. A Year 4 teacher is exploring how to effectively use an LMS and Google Forms to improve communication and reduce time sent on administrative tasks, to free up time for more effective teaching and learning. Another Year 4 teacher is beginning to take an interest in coding concepts and how these might be taught in primary schools. A Year 5 team is collaborating across English, library lessons and Digital Technologies using websites and collaborative documents. The Year 6 teachers are seeking real world connections with learning and ways students can make a difference beyond our school.

Small sparks promise a brighter future.