Post-conference buzz

A bunch of innovative educators

I have just spent the last few days surrounded by some very inspirational and innovative educators exploring the new Digital Technologies curriculum. I enjoyed the opportunity to reconnect with people I had worked with in the past, to meet face-to-face people I have been following on Twitter, and to talk with teachers who are only at the beginning of their Digital Technologies journey, but are excited and optimistic about taking their next baby steps.

The presentations were amazing and I felt honoured to have been invited to share my own ideas with the gathering as well. By the last session I felt like I had overdosed on new ideas and couldn’t hear anymore.

A few hours later, on the plane ride home, I’m glowing in the post-conference buzzing, and thinking about the conversations I need to have back at school in order to move us further along in our journey.

Sometimes when we are “innovative educators” being connected to other amazing teachers is both a blessing and a curse. Attending a conference presentation, or reading a blogpost about someone else’s achievements, journeys or struggles can help us feel “not so alone” if others in our immediate surrounds are not quite on the same wavelength. Conversely, it can be frustrating when we start thinking we are not doing enough because someone else is doing way more. We can even become jealous and start blaming factors in our own setting (if only our school had… …I could do more innovative stuff).

It’s a bit of a trap.

Remembering that innovation means doing something new and better only needs to mean that we are improving our immediate situation. Comparing our innovations with others can be tricky.

I know that one of the things I struggle with is patience. My preferred method of changing is to jump first and work out the plan on the way down. I rarely end up crashing at the bottom and almost always find the wings I need to fly to my new destination.

I’m sometimes not as understanding of others whose style is to carefully plan, and then spend months building a bridge, before they finally take the their first tentative step.

In my current role, I’m learning how to encourage people to take a leap of faith with me, but being impatient and expecting them to jump too soon is not building the confidence and trust that I need to establish first. I need to learn to listen so I can truly understand their concerns without judging. I need to accept that for some people innovation does not bring on an exhilarating rush of adrenaline, but an immobilising anxiety. I need to walk with them and encourage them gently, leading by example and earning their trust.

I also need to take time and look back at how much has been achieved since I started and recognise that a small change for me might be a big change for others.

Innovation doesn’t need to be huge; change doesn’t need to be life changing. As Vendramin described in his blogpost, innovation is relative.

What is new and better for some, might not seem so new and better to others, but it can still be innovation.

I’m learning to celebrate the successes and edge slowly towards my goals – and maybe someday soon, someone will be ready to take a massive leap into the unknown with me, and the adventure can continue.

One Comment on “Post-conference buzz

1. Well said Jane,
    The ‘buzz’ we feel after a successful conference experience is quite overwhelming. Translating that back into own workspace can create a mixture of results.
    The networks we create and strengthen via Social Media are wonderful indeed and always strengthened by face to face meetings.
    Thanks for sharing your post conference buzz.

Celia